7 Ways to Use Mongongo Oil — from The Curl Experts
With so many ways to use our new Mongongo Oil Multi-Use Curl Treatment, we asked the texture experts on Ouidad’s Curl Advisory Board (CAB) to share their best tips and tricks.
Scroll through our slideshow or jump below for the tips!
[gallery link="none" ids="3143,3144,3145,3146,3147,3153,3149"]
1. To Control Frizz “I use Mongongo Oil to calm frizz after blow drying loose or classic curls. I spray one or two pumps in my hand and distribute the oil through the hair as needed.” —Helen Wagmeister, Head Designer & Trichologist, Cosmo & Company Salon & Spa
2. To Treat Curls While You Sleep “For tight to kinky curl types, which typically need more love, the oil makes a great hydrating overnight treatment.” —Helen W.
3. As a Curl Refresher and Finisher “On dry curls, I use Mongongo Oil as a finisher to restore hydration levels, increase shine, and smooth flyaway strands. Spray a few pumps into your hand, warm the oil by rubbing your hands together, and then smooth the product over your curls for an instant refresh.” —Chadwick Pendley, Ouidad Master Artistic Educator and Co-Owner of the Ouidad Fort Lauderdale flagship
4. To Infuse Healing Moisture “For loose and classic curls, I love to use it as a conditioning treatment. Clients lose moisture during the summer—they’re out enjoying the sun, sand, and surf. When they come in needing to replace that moisture, I use Mongongo Oil at the shampoo bowl. After shampooing, I work a quarter-size amount with a bit of water into the wet hair, let it sit on for 3-5 minutes, rinse, then style.” —Lauren Moser, Co-Owner of Hair Lab Detroit and 2015 NAHA Texture Award Winner
5. As a Shine-Boosting Leave-In “For tight and/or kinky curls, I love to use it as a leave-in. This method provides moisture and protects the hair from damage during heat styling. Mongongo Oil also tames frizz, defines, and leaves a beautiful shiny finish to previously lackluster locks.” —Lauren M.
6. To Prep for a Blow Dry “Mongongo Oil is the perfect heat protectant for curls. I apply it to hair before blow drying to help prevent heat damage. And because oil and water don’t mix, the product helps to speed up drying time by repelling water from the surface of the hair.” —Jason Hallman, Ouidad Master Artistic Educator and Senior Stylist at Ouidad’s NY flagship salon
7. To Give Porous Curls a Boost “Mongongo Oil works best for me on porous hair. I love to use it on tight and kinky curl types, which can be a bit dryer, or on hair that’s been bleached or highlighted. It makes dull hair shinier. I spray it on curls before I cut, and when I do I blow out or rake and shake. I like it because a little goes a long way!” —Aaliyah, Premier Designer at Gene Juarez Salons & Spas