5 Ways to Get Your Curls Summer-Ready
Summer comes with its own set of challenges for curly hair—frizz-causing humidity, drying sun and surf—but with the right game plan, your curls can look their most defined, healthiest best. We asked top stylists from Ouidad’s Curl Advisory Board to give us the lowdown on how to maximize your good curl days all season long.
1. Get a fresh start. “Reboot your curls by cleansing with a clarifying shampoo” says Helen Wagmeister, Head Designer and Trichologist at Cosmo & Company Salon & Spa in West Palm Beach, FL. “This will get rid of impurities and buildup from styling products to help your curls look revived and ready for summer.”
2. Stay hydrated. Curls crave moisture, and beach days can dry them out. “Remember, as the summer heat dehydrates us it also dehydrates our hair,” says Chadwick Pendley, Ouidad Master Artistic Educator and co-owner of Ouidad by Chadwick and Igor in Ft. Lauderdale. “Drink lots of fresh water and apply a leave-in conditioner such as Ouidad’s Moisture Lock to your ends to help them remain hydrated.”
3. Change up your product wardrobe. As you switch your summer clothes from storage into heavy rotation, give your haircare routine a seasonal update, too.
Sub out your heavier winter regimen for a frizz-fighting shampoo, conditioner, and stylers, like the ones in the new Advanced Climate Control collection, advises Lauren Moser, owner of Hair Lab Detroit and NAHA winner. “Summer heat and humidity can cause curls to become frizzy and unmanageable,” she says, “but this system puts the control in your hands.”
4. Shampoo less often. “Curly hair doesn't need to be washed all the time, especially in the summertime,” says Jessica O’Brien, a stylist at Ouidad’s New York flagship salon. “Washing it too much makes it prone to frizz, especially in humid weather.” Her tip: Skip shampoo every other time you cleanse your hair. Instead, co-wash with a defrizzing conditioner to leave curls smooth and defined.
5. Pack your beach bag. Just like your skin needs protection at the beach, so do your curls. “Make the Advanced Climate Control Detangling Heat Spray your beach bag go-to product,” says Jason Hallman, a senior stylist at Ouidad’s New York City flagship. “It has a UV filter to shield your curls from the sun’s rays.”