Keeping your curls vibrant and shiny isn’t easy, especially in the summertime. Color fading is one of the top concerns voiced by clients at our New York Flagship Salon during beach season and our new Color Sense line speaks directly to that!
The shampoo, conditioner and Shine Boosting Color Extender all feature Ouidad’s exclusive Color Lock Complex which uses the power of antioxidants and plant based filter to lock in your color and preserve it through frequent shampoos and styling. Think of it as your hair’s personal body guard fighting off the damaging effects of free radical invaders and UV infiltrators. City Curls should be using this all year round!
Here are some tips I share with my clients on how to keep their color looking fresh and vibrant beyond their salon visit:
1. Integrating the new Color Sense line into your weekly routine – we all tend to shampoo frequently in the summer, thus causing faster color fade. The shampoo and conditioner are PH balanced, nourishing and contains UV filters which will help prevent sun fading all day long. My favorite is the Shine Boosting Color Extender. All you have to do is use it once a week for 10 minutes to lock the hair cuticle down and prevent color molecules from escaping during shampoos. Results are similar to a clear in salon gloss.
2. Even armed with a great shampoo, try to avoid washing the hair every day and stick to at least every 2-3 days. For the very active curly girls, try our Curl Co-Wash for in between conditioning cleanses.
3. If you are going to the beach and will be in the sun for an extended period of time, cover those curls! Nothing is more chic at the beach or pool then a giant straw sun hat and your favorite sunglasses! For our wavy to curly; mist hair with our Wave Create Sea Spray and apply leave-in Styling Primer such as Whipped Curls. Place hair in messy bun and at the end of the day you will have sexy beach hair.
4. In the summer heat, keep your body and curls hydrated – dry chemically processed curls will fade quickly. The Meltdown Extreme-Repair Mask from the Curl Recovery line great for healing any stressed curls and will create a healthier canvas for a beautiful color. This can be used up to 15 minutes, three times a week- All depending on the needs of your curls.
5. Be careful of chlorine! Clients that spend a lot of time at the pool should definitely be taking extra steps before jumping in. I recommend using the Shine Boosting Color Extender treatment the night before. After your day at the pool don’t forget to cleanse and condition with the Color Sense line. Mineral deposits will be banished down the drain leaving your hair will with chlorine free hair and a sealed cuticle. For Blondes this routine is key in preventing the mean chlorine greens!
Enjoy the rest of the summer!
-Ian Dorey Scott, Ouidad Creative Color Director